If you are a crossword enthusiast, then you are no stranger to the challenge of deciphering clues that seem like riddles. The Dramatist Ben Crossword Clue might be one of those head-scratchers that leave you feeling stuck. Fear not, as we have done the research and uncovered the solution to this puzzling query. In this article, we will delve deeper into the meaning behind the clue “Dramatist Ben” and explore the life and work of some of the most notable Bens in the history of dramatic arts.
Who is Dramatist Ben?
The name Ben is a common abbreviation for the name Benjamin, which means “son of the right hand” in Hebrew. There have been several Bens in the world of dramatic arts, and the clue “Dramatist Ben” might refer to any one of them. However, the most well-known and celebrated Ben in the realm of drama is Benjamin Jonson.
Benjamin Jonson – A Life in Drama
Benjamin Jonson (1572 – 1637) was a prominent English playwright, poet, and actor. He was born in Westminster, London, and his father died shortly before his birth. He was raised by his mother and stepfather, who was a master bricklayer.
Jonson’s career in drama began in the early 1590s when he worked as an actor and writer for the Admiral’s Men, a prominent theatrical company of the time. He went on to write many successful plays, including “Volpone,” “The Alchemist,” and “Bartholomew Fair.” His plays were known for their wit, humor, and satire, and he was considered one of the most skilled writers of his time.
Jonson’s influence on English drama was significant. He played a crucial role in the development of the comedy of humours, a genre that focused on the satirical portrayal of characters with exaggerated and often ridiculous personality traits. Jonson’s plays were also notable for their moral depth and exploration of ethical and philosophical themes.
Other Dramatist Bens
While Benjamin Jonson is the most well-known Ben in the world of dramatic arts, there have been other notable Bens in the field. Here are a few other potential answers to the clue “Dramatist Ben”:
- Ben Hecht: He was an American playwright, screenwriter, and novelist who won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for the movie “Underworld” in 1927.
- Ben Travers: He was an English playwright and theatre director known for his farces, including “Rookery Nook” and “Thark.”
- Ben Elton: He is an English comedian, writer, and playwright known for his work on TV shows such as “The Young Ones” and “Blackadder,” as well as plays like “Gasping” and “Popcorn.”
Who is Ben?
To solve the “Dramatist Ben” crossword clue, the first step is to understand who Ben is. In this context, Ben refers to Benjamin Jonson, an English playwright, poet, and literary critic. Jonson lived from 1572 to 1637 and is considered one of the most influential playwrights of the Jacobean era. He was a contemporary of William Shakespeare, and the two were known to have a friendly rivalry.
Now that we know who Ben is, it’s time to explore his works. Jonson wrote many plays during his career, including “Volpone,” “The Alchemist,” and “Bartholomew Fair,” among others. His plays were known for their wit, humor, and satire. Jonson’s works were popular during his lifetime and continue to be studied and performed to this day.
Crossword Clue Interpretation
With the background knowledge of who Ben is and his works, we can now examine the “Dramatist Ben” crossword clue interpretation. The clue is meant to lead you to the answer “Jonson.” However, there are many other playwrights and dramatists with the name “Ben,” such as Ben Hecht, Ben Elton, and Ben Travers, among others. That is why it is essential to use the other clues provided in the puzzle to narrow down the answer to Jonson.
Tips for Solving the “Dramatist Ben” Crossword Clue
Now that we have unraveled the mystery of the “Dramatist Ben” crossword clue, let’s look at some tips for solving it:
- Look for other clues: As mentioned earlier, the “Dramatist Ben” crossword clue is not the only clue in the puzzle. Look for other clues that can help you narrow down the answer to Jonson.
- Think of synonyms: If you are stuck on a particular clue, try to think of synonyms for the word. For example, if the clue is “playwright,” you can think of synonyms like “dramatist” or “author” to help you arrive at the answer.
- Use the crossings: Crossword puzzles are designed so that the answers intersect with each other. Use the letters from the intersecting words to help you solve the clue.
- Don’t give up: Crossword puzzles can be frustrating, especially when you can’t solve a particular clue. Don’t give up, take a break, and come back to the puzzle later. You might be surprised at how a fresh perspective can help you solve the clue.
The “Dramatist Ben” crossword clue is just one of the many challenging clues that you can encounter in a crossword puzzle. With the tips provided in this article and a bit of background knowledge about Benjamin Jonson, you should be able to solve this clue with ease. Remember, solving a crossword puzzle is not only a fun pastime but also a great exercise for your brain.